New Center City Philadelphia Restaurants
Michael Klein wrote a great article that outlines the 60 new restaurants coming to Center City Philadelphia that included and interactive map!
Philadelphia Real Estate Blog – New Philly Restaurants
Not only does it include the names and locations, but also the project opening date.
“Pockets of Center City, especially near Broad Street and Rittenhouse Square, are the hottest areas.
The restaurant zone of Washington Square West, now concentrated on 13th Street between Chestnut and Walnut Streets, will expand south. On one corner of 13th and Locust Streets, a strip club has given way to a tot gym (NEST) that includes a future location of the family-friendly Green Eggs Cafe. Next door, at 1305 Locust, the owners of the posh Le Castagne plan an Italian restaurant. On another corner, formerly a series of bars, Mike Stollenwerk plans to relocate Fish, doubling seating from the seafooder’s home at 17th and Lombard. On the 1200 block of Locust, the brownstones that housed Deux Cheminees are being readied for Vedge, an uppity vegetable destination restaurant from Rich Landau and Kate Jacoby, who previously owned Horizons on Seventh Street near South.
For every luxe destination (Sbraga, Tashan, Il Pittore), there’s something casual (Nomad Pizza, Grill Fish Cafe, Bubba’s Texas BBQ). More blue-collar bars (Stateside on East Passyunk, American Sardine Bar in Point Breeze, Interstate Draft House in Fishtown) are on the way, too.
September’s bumper crop of openings may be ripe as soon as this weekend with Honest Tom’s Taco Shop at 44th and Spruce Streets, a brick-and-mortar version of the popular truck.
Then will come an expected reopening of Bliss, the bistro at the Bellevue, next week.
Looking further ahead: November and December burn bright. At 600 N. Broad St., Marc Vetri will open the beer bar Alla Spina and Stephen Starr is doing an unnamed seafooder beside Vie, a catering room from Cescaphe’s Joe Volpe. Iron Hill Brewery will open in Chestnut Hill. Royal Izakaya, a Japanese bar from the Khyber Pass/Cantina crew, is preparing to open in Queen Village. Honey’s Sit ‘N Eat is on its way to a second spot at 21st and South Streets.”
Restaurant Openings By Month
- Cook. Audrey Claire Taichman’s 16-seat demo kitchen. 253 S. 20th St. Opens Sept. 6.
- Tashan. Modern Indian from Tiffin’s Munish Narula. 777 S. Broad St. Opens Sept. 8.
- Firebirds Wood Fired Grill. American grill chain heads to the Brandywine Valley. 91 Wilmington West Chester Pike, Chadds Ford.
- Blue Bear. American pub replaces Doc Watson’s. 216 S. 11th St.
- Union Transfer. Rock-and-roll and grub. 1026 Spring Garden St.
- Sbraga. Top Chef winner Kevin Sbraga and wife Jesmary. 440 S. Broad St.
- New 401 Diner. The Conshy diner comes back. 401 Fayette St.
- Sabrina’s Cafe. A third location, at Drexel U’s Ross Commons, on the southeast corner of 34th Street and Powelton Avenue.
- Barcade. Brooklyn-bred bar + arcade concept in Fishtown. 1114 Frankford Ave.
- Birra. Beer and pizza (and other oven-baked Italian specialties). 1700 E. Passyunk Ave.
- Interstate Draft House. Bob and Brandon Bitros (ex-Azure) replace Moe’s in Fishtown. 1235 E. Palmer St.
- Vedge. Vegan destination from the Horizons crew. 1221 Locust St.
- American Sardine Bar. South Philadelphia Tap Room’s new concept in Point Breeze. 1800 Federal St.
- Jasmine Rice. Thai BYOB replacing Center City’s Warsaw Cafe. 306 S. 16th St.
- Isabel. Mexi-Cali BYOB in Fairmount. 2601 Pennsylvania Ave.
- Saffron Indian Kitchen. A third BYOB in the chain. 2501 Huntingdon Pike, Huntingdon Valley.
- Sang Kee. Michael Chow opens a small Chinese noodle house. 1601 N. Kings Highway, Cherry Hill
- Chickie’s & Pete’s. Pete Ciarrocchi has three more on the way: in Audubon (Montgomery County), Warrington (Bucks County), and another spot at Philadelphia International Airport.
- Stateside. The Green Eggs crew opens an all-American bar. 1536 E. Passyunk Ave.
October and Beyond
- Il Pittore. Chris Painter and Stephen Starr’s upper-end Italian destination. 2025 Sansom St.
- McKenzie’s Brew House. The brewpub’s third location. 324 W. Swedesford Rd., Berwyn.
- Federal Donuts. Three major food groups – doughnuts, fried chicken, and Stumptown Coffee – from Cook+Solo in South Philly. 1219 S. Second St.
- Bubba’s Texas BBQ. Cue the ribs on the Fishtown-Northern Liberties border. 19 W. Girard Ave.
- Percy Street BBQ. Cook+Solo and chef Erin O’Shea open a spot at the Comcast Center. 1701 JFK Blvd.
- Unnamed. An Italian restaurant from the Le Castagne crew. 1305 Locust St.
- Forest & Main. Ambler’s brewpub. 61 N. Main St.
- Brian’s. Brian Held moves his Newtown gem Rouget into Lambertville. 9 Kline’s Court.
- Molly Malloy’s Bar & Grill. The Iovine produce boys do a pub at Reading Terminal Market.
- Nomad Pizza. The Hopewell, N.J., pizza destination moves into the South Street area. 611 S. Seventh St.
- Broad Street Diner. What’ll it be? A revival by diner king Michael Petrogiannis. 1135 S. Broad St.
- Ela. Tentative name of a restaurant by Chip Roman and Jason Cichonski of Mica. Third and Bainbridge Streets.
- Green Eggs Cafe. A third location. 1301 Locust St.
- Joe’s Crab Shack. The chain hits King of Prussia. 244 Mall Blvd.
To search Philadelphia Real Estate listings for condos, homes and apartments click here.
Blog post compliments of CenterCityTeam’s Philadelphia Real Estate Blog
Frank L. DeFazio, Esquire
Prudential Fox & Roach Realtors – Society Hill
530 Walnut Street, Suite 260
Philadelphia, PA 19106